Stroud Community Agriculture is a CSA of two farms totalling 70 acres, producing a weekly organic veg share, as well as beef, lamb and pork for over 280 members. The farm is a registered non-profit co-operative run by and for the benefit of the members. Currently there are three full-time employed staff, plus additional seasonal and part-time workers.
We are seeking someone to work on the market garden for the 2021 season, April through to October. This post is 4 days a week. The applicant will need to be physically fit, capable of working to commercial speeds, and enthusiastic about local food and community engagement. We offer the opportunity to work on one of the most established community farms in the UK with a friendly and experienced farm team.
Closing date for applications 5pm Friday 19th February.
Purpose of post
Mainly to help with all aspects of work on the horticultural unit – including but not limited to ground preparation, propagation, weed control, harvesting and packing produce – with some work with the livestock and general farm work.
The seasonal worker will be responsible to the 2 farm managers.
· This post is 4 days a week from April to the end of October 2021, with the possibility of working until the end of the December.
· The exact hours worked in this post will be flexible according to the needs of the farm and as negotiated with the farm team. It will include some weekend duties.
· There might be the possibility of (optional) extra paid work/days at certain points in the season, but this is not guaranteed.
· The pay will be £9.50/hour on a self-employed basis.
· There is the possibility for on-farm accommodation in a static caravan charged at £165/month.
· There will be a two-week trial period.
· Interest and enthusiasm for organic/biodynamic market gardening and community farming.
· Experience & knowledge of commercial organic/biodynamic crop production.
· Understanding of the requirements of commercial horticultural planning, preparation, sowing and harvesting process.
· Be physically fit and have stamina for the demands of the job.
· Willingness to work in all weathers.
· Experience of machinery use, maintenance, repair.
· Tractor driving experience.
· Ability to work independently and with others in a team.
· Ability to work with members of the co-operative and volunteers.
· Supportive of the guiding principles of SCA (see website).
· Full UK driving licence.